Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Words I hate.

"At the end of the day" is one of my least favorite corporate phrases. It can be used as such:

"At the end of the day we need to get alignment from all parties involved" -Translated: "We aren't going to agree on anything today, so lets just agree to keep not making decisions for at least three more meetings"

I don't know why I hate it so much, but I do! What the heck is it even supposed to mean? For me at the end of the day, I'm usually figuring out how late I'll be so I can text my husband at let him know. My days never end!

I have some other phrases I hate too...

"Alignment" You'll notice this was used in my example above. Usually when an "At the end of the day" is involved, an "alignment" is not far behind.

"The goal of today's meeting is to get aligned for the future" Translated: " We all need to agree on the only thing we know will get approved from the higher-ups"

"Get on the same page"

"We need to all get on the same page before we proceed with our next steps" Translated: "I'm right and you all are wrong, so come on this journey with me where I prove myself right" (Note: This is from the POV of the person who uses the phrase 'get on the same page')

I'll keep adding to this....the list continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment